Submissions Now Open Through Monday, November 1, 2021
Call for Camp Counselors
Are you ready to speak at the biggest tech conference in the US Midwest? We are searching for hour-long sessions, half and full-day workshops, and keynotes that bring value to our community. The sessions and workshops can appeal to developers, designers, testers, business owners, site builders, community organizers, and everything in-between.
Summer Camp for Geeks
THAT Conference is the largest tech event in the US Midwest, and it’s held at a waterpark. We are a family-friendly conference and encourage children (geeklings) to submit talks as well! We are looking for counselors on a wide variety of topics and backgrounds. Do you have a story to tell? Do you have expertise in a specific field to share? We want to hear from you!
Speak Online or In-Person, you decide.
Dare we say we've gone "digital-first"? Sounds fancy, right? The truth is we're a believer in continuous refactoring, and let's be honest, the resort isn't big enough for the camp we want to set up. THAT Conference is now comprised of two primary delivery methods, online or in-person.
Online activities are solely delivered online, authentic to their audience. They are meant to be very interactive, global, and happen at any time for any length of time. They're limited to 100 people, but some of the best, most engaging activities happen with just a few geeks. The possibilities are endless, and we're excited to have this addition.
In-person activities are just that; they're physically in-person and also authentic to their audience. Typically they're orchestrated with a single speaker and limited by time and physical space.
Audiences And Formats
You can apply to speak for the following audiences and formats:
Professional & Family Formats
THAT Conference is a professional polyglot technical conference with a rich experience for children and other family members. Your session could be aimed at the professional track or for family "geeklings".
Standard sessions are 60 minutes each, including time for answering questions. There is a 30-minute break in-between each session to nurture those all-important hallway conversations.
Half-day (four hours) or full-day (8 hours), the day leading into THAT Conference is set aside for a full day of workshops. Be prepared to provide attendees a decent agenda for what you'll cover.
Do you have what it takes to give a 90-minute speech on something you're passionate about? You'll have an audience of over 1,000 people in front of the stage listening to your story. We want topics that'll motivate, energize, and help attendees see the world differently as the diverse place it is.
Key Dates You Need To Know
Perks If You're Selected To Speak At That Conference
To attend all 4 days of THAT Conference! Including all conference meals, THAT Pig Roast and all social/networking activities!
For each talk accepted we cover 2 standard room nights at the Kalahari, up to a 3 nights max per family.
We got ya covered, literally.
Become a Camp Counselor today!
Submissions open through
Monday, November 1, 2021 UTC
Frequently asked questions
Have more questions? Just drop us an email or hit us up in the chat. [email protected].
- Well, I messed up. Can I update my activity?
- Of course. Just head over to your profile image, and select the My Submissions menu option. Edit away, and if you need some assistance, please let us know.
- Do you cover any travel expenses?
- We do not. We are a not-for-profit and have chosen to keep the ticket cost as affordable as possible to allow everyone an opportunity to attend.
- I need help with my abstract or presentation?
- No problem. We host a session every Wednesday on THAT.us. Just join us.
- Will this be recorded?
- It depends on the budget for the year. A recording is super expensive to do well, and if we're able to do so, we will ask you to sign a release form.
- Do I need to book my own room?
- Yes, and don't delay. We will provide you a link and all of the necessary information to get lodging secured.
- How do I get reimbursed for my room?
- We will work with the resort and magically apply the credit to your bill. You are responsible for any other expenses incurred. We reimburse the cost of a standard room rate.
- Can my family come?
- Yes! Better yet, have them attend your activity. We will even provide you some complimentary tickets.
- Is there a speaker dinner?
- No, but instead, we have a pig roast one night where everyone is invited, including families.
- What does the room setup look like?
- Square, tan walls, big screen, podium, with a lot of chairs.
- Do I need to register? Do I get a ticket?
- Yes. If selected, we will provide you will the necessary information to get it all squared away.
- I was selected to speak Online. Do I get an in-person ticket?
- No, you will receive a free ticket to the portion of the event you are speaking in. Online speakers will be given a free virtual ticket, and in-person speakers will be given that appropriate ticket.
- Can I submit or speak at both, online and in-person.