It’s the end of December and for many of us in the THAT Community, it is a time of holiday celebration. To those that celebrate Hanukkah, we say Hanukkah Sameach! To those who celebrate Christmas, we say Merry Christmas! To those who celebrate Kwanzaa, we wish you a joyous Kwanzaa! To those who celebrate having time off of work and normal schedules, soak up all of it!
Regardless of how each of us celebrates this time of year, it is our individual uniqueness that make THAT Community what it is. Each of us is uniquely talented and awesome in our own way, and makes THAT all that it is. We are extremely proud of this growing and supportive community of technologists and are grateful for having you on this journey with us!
As we are on the footsteps on a new decade we encourage you to take time to relax and reflect. What are you proud and grateful for? What do you want the new decade to hold for you? What goals do you have for 2020? 2021? 2025? What’s holding you back from starting towards those goals today?
Reflect, reset and charge up your internal battery. Nothing is stopping you from achieving all you want to! Know we here at THAT are here to support and help you achieve all your goals.
As each of you go about your holiday celebrations, we here at THAT would like to wish everyone in our community a happy holiday season! For those that find this time of year difficult, know your THAT Family is surrounding you with love and support. THAT Slack and our email is always open.
Can’t wait to grow with you in 2020!
Happy Holidays ❤️THAT Crew!
With the holidays, comes family and friends togetherness. Many of us are fortunate to have time off from work or school and it’s the perfect time of year to get out and explore or to learn something new. If you’re stumped on what to do, here are a few ideas:
Check out a local museum or science center. Many museums offer admission discounts on certain days/weeks each month. Special programs or activities are often offered this time of year as well. Here’s a quick rundown for you:
- Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee, WI (mpm.edu/calendar/event/winter-break-programming)
- Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, IL (msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/tours-and-experiences/makers-united/)
- Outdoor Adventure Center, Detroit, MI (michigan.gov/oac/0,5736,7-329-68731_72548-509850–,00.html)
- Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul MN (smm.org/illumination)
Individual / Get Your Learn On
Sign up for an online course or tutorial:
- Khan Academy (khanacademy.org) Hosting a variety of courses on many topics aimed at all ages.
- Frontend Masters (frontendmasters.com) A mix of instructor-led and video-led courses to help create your next awesome application.
- PluralSight (pluralsight.com) A wide range of video content that covers all the things related to technology. Includes soft skill topics too! Plus, if you have a Pluralsight account, you can view the 67 recorded sessions from THAT Conference 2019. It’s an awesome way to refresh and maybe inspire your next speaker submission.
Mark Your Calendars! Call for Counselors open January 1
If you need a little help deciding on a New Year’s resolution, we have an idea. You should submit a session or workshop idea for consideration for THAT Conference 2020. In an effort to make sure you keep your resolution, our Call for Counselors opens January 1, 2020.
We have both professional and family track speaking opportunities and welcome speakers of all ages and backgrounds to submit their ideas. If you need a little extra time to accomplish your resolution to submit an abstract, Call for Counselors will be open until February 29, 2020.
If you haven’t heard, we’re making a new THATConference.com site and would love for our community members to get involved. The new design is live but we’re not done and it could use some extra hands. Interested in helping? Visit github.com/thatconference. This project has been open sourced and is waiting for you to jump on in.
Feel free to join in the conversation in THAT Slack in the #that_contributor channel. THAT Staff and THAT Contributors are working together and it’s the perfect place to ask questions and share your ideas and thoughts as we work side by side to make THATConference.com a true community collaboration.
Call for Partners Open
Speaking of 2020, we’re looking for 2020 THAT Conference Partners. The support we receive from our partners allows us to make our event and community as awesome as possible. We could not do this without their amazing collaboration.