How Good is "Good Enough"?
Thursday, July 29, 2021 - 6:00 PM UTC, for 1 hour.
ON THAT (Online Only) Regular, 60 minute presentation
You know that conversation where your customer asks you, “When will we be done?” in reference to the end goal of a project, and you look at them and say, “I dunno. When are we done?” Then you stare at each other and get frustrated? It’s happened to us all. You’ve been working on this project for six months and you realize no one knows where the end is. That’s the situation this session addresses.
Recommended: Experience with IT/Operational relationships
- Distinguish between three traps that can inhibit your overall success.
- Identify how to avoid the three traps.
- Recognize the customer must always be the one to define good enough.
- Diagnose the missing links which prevent alignment on what good enough means.
- Navigate effective conversations to define good enough.
The Practice of Management
Peter R Drucker's ground-breaking exploration into the idea of management as a set of different skills from a line worker. While the content is dated (originally researched in the 1950s) many concepts still stand. For those that do not, it's just good to know the history of how we got here.
The Gifts of Imperfection
Brené Brown’s motivational and inspiring guide to living authentically. Filled with lessons learned from her research on courage, shame, empathy. and leadership, Brown explores the psychology behind perfection and how imperfection can liberate us. I highly recommended read for anyone who struggles with perfectionism.